Model F-40

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Model F-40

Douglas Mayer Hello I recently (yesterday) purchased a F-40. It leaks oil from the front of the starter. I find it strange that there would be oil in the starter to leak. Is this normal to have oil in the starter and if not how do I keep it from getting there? If it supposed to be there what is the cure to keep it from leaking? Looking for suggestions on a shop manual as I intend to buy one.
Thanks Doug

Big Dean There is not supposed any oil in that area. You have either a rear engine oil leak or a transmission input shaft deal leaking oil into the transmission bellhousing. There is a weep hole just behind the access plate on the bottom of the transmission ti let any oil out of that area it is stopped up. It should have a cotter pin sticking through the weep hole to keep it form plugging up. you find a lot of the plugged to hide those leak when they are for sale.
MF Poor As usual, Big Dean has you on track. I had oil leaking from the rear oil pan gasket failing. That was entering the bellhousing. Even with the weep hole allowing oil to drain, I was seeing some oil around the starter. It was slinging off the clutch assembly/flywheel. Pan gaskets solved the problem.
Douglas Mayer Thank you gentlemen for your response. What I found was a weep hole that was plugged with sludge. I stuck a fox tail (the weed not the animal) in the hole which did not have a cotter in it. It was plugged with sludge. Between 24 and 30 oz ran out after the foxtail was inserted. I have no idea how long the hole has been plugged. Apparently some seepage is acceptable or there would not be some method for it to escape. How much is accepatable? I have not had the opportunity to run the M 50 to see if I have oil problems from the starter area. I printed your responses for reference in case the oil leak persists. Thanks a bunch! Doug
Douglas Mayer Ran the tractor today. No oil running out of the starter. Does this mean that I will have to oil my starter maunually now that the automatic oiler doesn't work? Just kidding! It does seem that I have a couple of leaks. The most obvious ones appear to be easy enought to take care of. The drain plug seems to leak and another plate that has four bolts holding it on. Thanks again. Doug

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: