T20 D starts but revs then slows revs then slows

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

T20 D starts but revs then slows revs then slows

Bo b Lewin can anyone help me I bought this tractor from a young lad who claims that the injector pump was reconditioned however at tick over, leaving the throtle alone the engine speeds and slows, speeds and slows in a rhythmic way, the rhythm is probably a second, rev, slow,rev,slow, rev, slow. It will run like this all day. It is useable, however the throttle has to be pushed, forced, open to inrease the revs in a sustained way and the range is very limited.

Geoff Bob I am a bit confused by what you say in having to push the throttle,...however you might like to try and disconnect the linkage from the injector pump and work the pump by hand and see what happens,...if no different try the venturi in the inlet manifold next to the air filter,...there is some linkage,a butterfly and a spring there all have been known to give problems,there is also a diaphram on the end of the fuel injector pump which has given problems as well,also check all the fuel lines as the fuel shut-off tap has been known to fill up with muck,...if you need any more help just ask and I will help if I can..Geoff
boblewin Thanks Geoff, we disassambled the buterfly valve and greaed it and out it back, we wonder if there is an air leak around the spindle but not sure how to fix. Also have wondered about the diaphragm but a bit worried about messing with the pump as it is (supposedly) been rebuilt by a professional without remedying the fault. How big a job is it and is there anyone around yorkhire I could take it to?
Geoff Bob it's not a big job to chesk the diaphragm....remove the 4 screwdriver headed screws on the end of the fuel pump and remove the domed shape end cap...it's in there...check for any holes etc inside it....also as I said before chack the whole foul system is dirt/water free...any good diesel repair company should be able to help you with the pump if you need it ....they may have one or two suggestions up their sleeves before you need to remove the fuel pump...let me know how you come on mate....Regards....Geoff

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: