T20 diesl pump bleeding

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

T20 diesl pump bleeding

SimonBayliss Hi, hope I;ve come to right place. I couldn't find anything by searching so apologies if this is a duplicate.

I have a T20, 4 cyl standard diesel engine. It runs fine, but requires a spray of easy start to start from cold.

Anyway I ran it out of diesel today and have had no luck restarting. I changed the fuel filter, I filled the canister with fuel as best I could. I am asuming that I have an airlock somewhere, but I can find no way to bleed or prime the fuel pump. Any helpful hints??

Thanks.

Geoff Simon you have started off on the right foot mate,..prime the hand operated fuel pump and slacken off the bleed screws on top of the fuel filters,when fuel free from air comes out tighten the screws,next step is to slacken the top and bottom bleed screws on the main injector pump....repeat the same proceedure here as you did with the filters...when all the air is out tighten the screws and then start the engine...no real need to bleed the injectors as the in line pump system is self bleeding....hope you solve your problem with the help I have given you....Regards....Geoff(off on holiday tomorrow)
Simon Bayliss Geoff, thanks for that. I have managed to get it to fire a bit, so I'm close.

Cheers,

Simon.

Simo I think maybe I have a different problem after all. Perhaps I hadn't run it dry and something failed.

I remove the bleed screw from the fuel filter, there is diesel there.

If I remove the diesel feed from the injector pump then I can see that the injector body is full with diesel, and it flows from the pipe (so gravity is doing it's job for that part of the system).

If I remove the from cover (on the crankcase) I can see that the injector pump drive is at least turning when I crank her over.

But, if I loosen or remove the two bleed screws on the injector body I can't get any fuel out. [Same is true if I loosen or remove one of the ijectors at the head end).

So, it seems it won't go because it is not getting any fuel. I don't really want to remove the injector body because I'll have to retime it, (and don't know how) but can't see any other way of testing the pump.

I can't find any sor of manual primer or similar. The stop valuue doesn't seem to be jammed open or anything (it appears to oreturn OK when the stop level is pushed back). I'm a bit stuck :-(

Any further suggestions are most welcome!

Simon.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: