MF 188 cold weather start

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

MF 188 cold weather start

Manuel Hi,
I have a MF188 and have problems with starting engine in the morning with cold weather (not under 0).
The engine turns but take time to start,and almost the time I have to repeat 3 or 4 times turning the key to the "cold starting position" to finaly it starts. After that it will start normaly all day.
In summer time everything work normal.
Can you help me understand what goes wrong ?
Thank you

Geoff Hi Manuel...one possibility is that the heater in the inlet manifold is not working properly ....or not at all....remove it ..re-connect it up again outside the engine and earth it to the engine and see if it heats up as you would normally do...there might not be any current coming to it...there is a fose in the wire coming to it...check it and see if it is ok...if not the fuse may have blown because there is a short circuit in the heater plug....hope this information is of help to you....best of luck....Geoff
Manuel Hi Geoff,
thank you for the help.
I already test the heater plug (hope that's what I am thinking :) ) and change it for one new.
When the key is in "cold starting position" the temperature goes up but the engine do not start.
For normal weather temp. (around 25c) the engine start very well.

Thank you

fredrik Just to be sure you do it right: You start by turning the key counter-clock-wise, its not an ordinary glow position that is used before starting, as in later vehichles...

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: