massey 50 will only run with choke on ?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

massey 50 will only run with choke on ?

Tim Cochrane my massey 50 was running fine till today now it will only run with the choke on , works great with it on tho ? any suggestions ?

Big Dean I get ask this question more then any other questions on those old tractors. I wrote this article to put on my web page I will get around to it some day. Hope it helps you
One of two things is most likely causing your engine problem.
{1} There is a restriction in your fuel system. You are not getting enough gas though to keep up with what the engine is using. When you shut of the engine the carburetor bowl fills up. Think of this as a carburetor reservoir as the engine is using more gas than is getting to the bowl after a while the engine will use all the gas in the bowl and the engine stops. When you shut the engine off and let the bowl fill up the engine will run again till it uses the gas in the bowl again. The most common places for a restriction are in the tank shutoff valve. According to which valve your has. Some have a screen inside the tank it will plug with trash that accumulates in the bottom of the tank this is usually rust. The other valve without the screen the trash will stop up the opening where the inlet in the valve gets smaller the valve has to be removed from the tank to clean these places. There is also a screen on the elbow inside the carburetor that the gas line connects to that stops up if your still has the original elbow. If yours has a settling bowl on the shut off valve it should have a screen in the top of it that will also plug up. The harder you run the engine the quick the engine will stop. This problem is very common on a gravity fed fuel system.
{2} the coil will sometimes short out inside when the coil gets hot causing the engine to stop as soon as it cools off the engine will run again till the coil gets hot. This is a little rare but I have run across it quite a few times through the years

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: