MF 40 Transmission

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

MF 40 Transmission

Brian I have a MF40 and it has the high/low and 1/2 transmission. I was wandering if it has tranny filters and where they are at. If you step on the pedal for forward or reverse it acts like it is in neutral and then sometimes it will move. It does it in both for and rev. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Brian Tempel
I put in the wrong email address.

Big Dean There are only a few things that will cause that problem.
1. The bearing in the housing where the shaft goes inside the if they are bad enough it won't let the linkage move the valve inside enough to engage the clutch packs. You can check that by having someone hold the brake and pushing the pedals down one at a time. Then by hand try to move it a little further to see if it will make it engage.
2. There is a spring that goes from the top of the transmission to the pedals if it breaks or comes disconnected the pedals have to be push all the way down before it will engage. I have saw a few stretched enough to cause that also.
3. The regulator valves sticking they should keep the pressure at about 160 psi. To check them you need a 300 psi gauge and connect it in the test port. It should have about 160 psi with the engine idling.
4. The clutch pack seals or any of the steel sealing rings in the system are leaking you can also check those with the 300 psi gauge push one of the pedals down one at a time the pressure should drop for an instant then come back up immediately to the original reading.
5. The clutch discs in the clutch pack it will take a while for them to engage and they will usually slip under a load.
I have pictures the show where the test port and the regulator valves is located as well how to check and sometimes free up the regulator valves. Big Dean

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: