53 Ferg - GAS - no start

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

53 Ferg - GAS - no start

Aaron I was given this 53 ferguson tractor, its gas 6v +Gd.
Was told it works fine but had not been run in 8months. It will not start, When you turn the key nothing ... The light comes on in the dash, the volt meter moves but it does not turn over, I jumper from the battery to the starter and it turns over, but so slowly theres no way it would ever start. Any Suggestions for me?

The Battery shows 6v and has sufficient amps have even tried 2 batteries.

Is there a procedure that can be used to boost from 12v so i don't break anything?

Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks
Aaron

Geoff Gane Hi Aaron,I'm not familiar with your particular model as we don't have them in the UK?(I don't think) anyway I would take the starter motor off the tractor and see that it turns freely and the engine likewise..connect the starter motor to a battery off the engine and see how fast/slow it turns..it may be that the brushes in the motor are sticking after being idle so long..a clean up and free off might be all that is required,check that the spring clips that hold the brushes in place aren't weak or broken and fully charge the battery and try again...if you need any more help please get in touch again
FTD ALa You are using the gear shift to start?
Pull up and move to upper right w/key on.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: