Massey Model 350 - locking gears

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Massey Model 350 - locking gears

Barry We have a problem with our used Massey locking into gear if you shift into reverse if not completley stopped. Everytime we get the repair guy out he charges us $160.00 for a service call and it takes him about 10 minutes. He doesn't want to share his trade secret...it will kill his cash cow.

Anyone out there have a similar situation?

Thanks

John Could it be something similar like "135 transmission"- Steven Sininger :

Hi Steven
That is a very common problem on the Massey Ferguson tractors. I think this will probably help you on that problem. It tells what cause it how to prevent it from happen and how to get it unhung through the fill plug.
Cause for Shift lever hang up
The transmission main shaft lever hanging up is very common on most models of the MF tractors. The shift lever is held down by a spring & when you start to shift it you will unconsciously lift upon the lever. This causes the shift lever to go into the other shift fork on the other shift rail. That rail can not be moved because of the lock on the back of the transmission to prevent it from going into two gears at the same time. Once you have both shift rails in the neutral position you can then move the shift lever.If you will use the palm of your hand When changing gears to push the lever into neutral then get hold of the lever to put it in the gear you want it in. Shifting it that way it will not hang on you again. Below is the article from my web site that tells how to get the lever unhung. If I can be of further help Email me at daustin62@aol.com.

Getting the main shift lever unstuck
Pull your filler plug for the transmission look inside you will see a big gear. Find a level spot shut off the tractor. Push the clutch down & put the high low shifter in neutral to relieve any pressure that might be on the gears. With a long screwdriver or a small pry bar pry the big gear forward if it is hung in reverse pry it back if it is hung in first gear. If you happen to go to far it will go in the other gear. If humg in second or third gear you have to pry on the shift fork you can see through the filler hole. if hung in second pry the fork toward the front of the tractor. If hung in third pry the fork toward the back of the tractor. You need to get it in the center. You should be able to feel the detent balls pop in the grooves in the shift rail as you move the gear. Through the years I have probably unstuck at least a 1000 of them this way. It is a common problem on the Massey tractors after they get a little wear on them

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: