MF 304 trans./shuttle problem

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

MF 304 trans./shuttle problem

Matt Branning I have a 1978 MF 304 industrial tractor with the instant reverse shuttle shift. The problem I'm having is that the tractor goes forward without any trouble, but will not fully engage when I try to go in reverse. It starts to move slightly (barely enough to rock the machine backward) but won't move.

I've already consulted the service manual and tried to figure it out. The transmission and internal hydraulic fluids have been changed, and the screen and filter cleaned. I tried adding a washer to the pressure regulating valves (top and bottom), but that only made the machine more abrupt in moving forward. Reverse still won't respond properly. Additionally, I tightened up the adjustments for the throttle linkages without any noticeable improvement.

So....now I'm stumped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Branning
Jupiter, FL

Big Dean Hi Matt
It sounds like you either have some bad seals or discs or probably both in the reverse clutch pack. It sounds like it is engaging if it jerks. just not holding the pressure. The best way to be sure is put a gauge on it with both pedals up it should have between 150 to 160 PSI when you push either of the pedals the pressure should drop & then recover immediately. If it does not you have either bad seals or bad clutch discs in which ever clutch the does not recover immediately. Hope this helps you. If I can be of further help Email me at daustin62@aol.com. By the way the last MF304 was built in 1966

Dave I I had the same problem with mine. The problem with mine was that the previous owner was using the reverse as brakes due to them not working. Back to your problem. The advice from the previous post is correct, but he failed to mention the 2 adjusting ports on the left side of the trans. If you have the guage hooked up and are not getting the pressure needed, pull the top plug and put a washer between the plug and the spring. Or more than one if needed to get the needed pressure. Then do the same with the bottom plug. If you are getting the correct pressure with both adjusted then the advise from previous is correct.
I priced the clutch pack for my trans and it was $1000+. I bought a used trans on E-bay for $400 which included shipping and it runs perfectly once I adjusted it. If you have any more questions,

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: