MF 6170 4wd not engaging

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

MF 6170 4wd not engaging

paddy I bought a MF 6170 about 6 months ago - The 4wd worked fine initially but recently the indicator light is coming on but tractor stays in 2wd. I have had a look around the tractor but I am not sure where the solenoid valve that engages 4wd is located. I see a hydraulic line entering the front axle housing - Is this for 4wd or diff lock?
Anyone know the layout on these tractors?

The line at the front is to lock the axle. All solenoids that turn on/off are on the side of the trans housing. When energized a magnetic field is induced which opens or closes the internal valve. Sometimes a bit of dirt etc. will stop the spool from moving. Remove and clean, Make sure the hydraulic oil is very clean.

Toto Hello Paddy!
Did you fix your problem with 4wd on your 6170? I have the same problem on a 3085. Have checked the solenoid valve, switced it with the one for the diff, tried 12v directly to the solenoid etc. The solenoid activates but still no 4wd. And there is enough hyd.oil. Anyone out there with the same problem? Sorry for the bad english.. From Norway.

paddy Toto
Yes got problem fixed it was a mechanical sleeve connecting drive from gearbox to front wheels
It is located behind a cover on the external 4wd shaft underneath about dead centre on the tractor.
Basically there is a splined shaft which is located half on the driving shaft and half on the driven shaft. A split key goes radially through the sleeve betwwen the two shaft ends to keep it in place. This split key was lost and the sleeve moved off the driven shaft - so no 4WD. Simple fix and no worries with solenoid v/vs

nigel hello paddy;
we own a 4225 and this is a re-occuing problem. has this happend to you multiple times or just the once? our problem is the split key is breaking about every 3 or 4 days when we use the 4wd on a regular basis.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: