F40 Tranny Stuck in First

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

F40 Tranny Stuck in First

Garry's F40 Help! 1957 F40 tranny is stuck in first. I've used Big Dean's method to free it up every time it has happened in the past (maybe five times in 4 years).

This time, I can't get the gear to slide. It's on a very slight incline (rear down), box scraper is down so it's not trying to roll. Hi-Lo is in neutral, clutch pushed in, big gear spins no problem either direction, but she won't slide! Usually I can fix it in two minutes. I've been wrestling this time for more than an hour. Any more tricks I could try?

She'll drive forward, but there's no more room to go forward, so it would be quite an operation to get to level ground (on a landscape mound right now). I've tried wiggling the shifter while I pry, prying a little forward before prying back, spinning the gear and prying, rotating the gear just a little and prying, etc.

Big Dean Hi Garry
If the big gear will spin it is not in first or reverse gear. My guess is it is either in second or third gear. If it is through the filler hole hole you can see the second & third gear shift fork. Pry it back if it is hung in third pry it forward if it is hung in second. jus like prying the big gear for first and reverse if yoiu move it to far it will go into the other gear. Hope this helps Big Dean

Garry's F40 Thanks Big Dean-
The big gear will not spin if the clutch is engaged. But when I have the hi/lo set in neutral, and with the clutch pressed it will spin. It crawled right up that mound like it was in first, but i could be wrong.

I'm at work now, but I definitely remember that I can see a shift fork when I look in through the filler hole. The big gear is towards the front of the tractor, and the shift fork is lined up with the filler hole I believe. But I can't get anything to slide.

Do you think sitting on that slight incline matters at all? I don't see how it could, since it's not trying to roll anywhere with the box scraper lowered. Not causing anything to bind up that I can see.
Thanks again for your help.
Garry

Garry's F40 Help! Still stuck!! What else can I try?!
Tim pohlmann I also have the same problem. I can't get the shifter to come out of second. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: