MF16 eating coils

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

MF16 eating coils

Ron Bair I have a Massey 16hp tractor with a new short block that keeps burning up coils. I have 14 to 14.5 volts comming into the coil. I'm using all kohler parts. The only things I haven't replaced
are the Voltage regulator and the stator.
Any ideas.

Thanks Ron

Joe What is the model# of eng,and what type of ign system,points or solid state(breakerless)?
Ron Bair Joe,
It's a K341 breaker points and internal stator
for charging

Joe The 14.5 volts you are reading is the normal charge voltage to battery when eng is running,however I believe the core of your problem is the oem kohler coil.There is another MF forum on yahoo(you have to join & be approved by a system admin.before you can post & answer messages,but you can still read meessages & replys without joining)on this form there have been 6-8 messages posted since july about kohler coil problems on both point & solid state systems(kohler admits a problem with coils)from what I can gather kohler will give you a repacement coil in exchange for bad coil,however this doesn't cure problem,some of these guys only get 1 or 2 mowings out of a coil,some have gone thru 6 coils this summer.Two or three have experminted and appear to have found a possible cure,one said he did this last spring & had no problems last yr or this yr,anyway on with the fix,it boils down to going to an auto parts store & buying an ign coil for cars made between the mid 50's & 1970 that they used with point ign systems,I would imagine a coil for any make & model gm,ford or chrysler would work,they didn't say for what make they bought coil for,except that they only paid about $15 for coil.I don't if you were around when they had point systems in cars(I was my first 3 cars had points)but I believe these guys left something out of there replys,I'm not comfortable with throwing 14v in a coil,neither were the auto mfgs,they installed a "ballast resistor" between + term. on coil & ign sw,in case you don't know what a ballast resistor is it's a high wattage lo resistance resistor,it's function is to drop voltage to approx 10.5 volts when coil is in use,to stop coil from overheating & burning out.I also believe you may have to change starter sol,as old style auto ign systems bypassed resistor while starting with an aux contact in starter sol to compesate for voltage drop while cranking eng.If you know anyone that restores cars of that period the can explain ign system to you & possibly help you out with parts & installation.Hope this is of some help to you,good luck.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: