Massey 65 Perkins Engine question

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Massey 65 Perkins Engine question

Raye I was using my 65 with a pto driven tiller and the entire tractor locked up and quit running. At first the the tractor wouldn't start, then after a few minutes it started. Ever since that incident when the tractor is running at low idle there is a distinctive pop, pop sound in the exhaust. As I increase rpm the pop,pop diminishes. Additionally the exhaust has white/gray smoke coming from the exhaust and there is blow back through the oil dip stick and
fuel pump. I have since pulled the head and there is not any major indications of head gasket leaks. There were indications of carbon build-up around a couple of the head bolt/studs. The cylinder walls appear to be in good shape with wear grooves at the top of the stroke. Number 4 sleeve will rise and fall with rotation of the engine. #3 sleeve has carbon deposits about 1/3rd of the way down on a portion of the sleeve.

Also is it normal for #1 and #4 pistons to rotate up and down at the same time? The same happens with #2 and #3 pistons. Thank you for you help

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: