MF 275 Axle Pivot Rod Failure - Big Trouble?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

MF 275 Axle Pivot Rod Failure - Big Trouble?

Richard Young in FL Last evening while box blading a mound of shell-rock into the driveway, just after backing up onto a pile, the front end let loose and the circa 1975 MF took a nose dive into the freshly loosened dirt. The wheels and their struts had spun 90 degrees on the axle and the steering tie rod ends had disengaged themselves from their normal ball and socket joint configuration.

The connecting rod through the front axle had sheared off at one end (not sure whether front or rear but suspect rear). I came away with a shaft of steel tubing (one smooth and one sheared end) found under the axle when hoisted that is 8" long by 1.833" in diameter having a 0.243" wall thickness. The smooth end looks to have been inserted 1.21" into a forward or rearward receiver and the rod ran through the axle forming a horizontal pivot line for the axle. I suspect there is another 1.21" piece still in the opposite receiver.

The first question is whether this is one Big or one reasonable fix? Assuming a reasonable fix, can it be accomplished in the field? Do I have to "break the front end from the rear - implying shoring both? What is involved?

A picture is worth a thousand words and a page or two from a repair manual (if I had one) would be a good place to start. Today the library, tomorrow the parts dealer.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: