gear must be stuck or clutch gone

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

gear must be stuck or clutch gone

Steve mikell While going down steep grade in gear for no reason gears stuck high and low and selector gear . Pushing
clutch down extremly hard slowed tractor but had to
shut off engine to completely stop .

Hope someone has answer ??

Ray Mc Having same problem with MF Deluxe 35 from 1957. If this old you can open access to gear box and with a long screwdriver or tool force the gearwheel to slide. My problem is not knowing which gear wheel moves. I have done this 2 times in about5 years but I have forgotten how. I hope you have good luck and if you can tell me which one moved I would like to know. Be EXTRA careful to not drop the tool into the gear box as you will have a hard time ever getting it out.

Doug I am having a similar problem with a 1964 MF 65. I tried the two methods recommended: jacking up one wheel and alternately reving and slowing the engine and also dragging down the tractor with a box blade and working the throttle rapidly but that did not help either. I did notice that the tractor did stop moving until I released the pedal when it started moving again so apparently the pedal has some effect. Without a load to stop it the tractor keeps moving.
Douglas Cochran There is another possibility as I found out when I removed the cover plate on the bottom of the clutch housing on the 1964 MF 65. After removing 40 years of dirt and rotating the assembly a couple of times I discovered that two of the three pins that connect the linkage to the pressure plate had slipped out due to broken cotter pins. One of the three had appparently been partially out for some time because the hole in one of the link bars was worn out through the end of the bar. As long as two of the three are connected properly, the clutch works normally. However, when the cotter pins rust in two or break and two of the three pins slip out of the linkage, the clutch does not release and the tractor keeps going! If you have a MF of this vintage, I suggest strongly that you remove the cover plate and check the condition of the connecting pins.
Lee Rieppel I had this same problem. I split the tractor to find one pin had fallen out. Previous owner had put in knew clutch replaced the cutter pins and welded pins to housing. What i found was the welds broke loose and cotter pins wore off and broke off. I contacted a mechanic in Alabama. He said this is a common problem. His reconmendation was to use solid role pin insted of cotter pins.
But know i need specs on cltch clearence. I have a 40 ind. if any body has these i would appreciate these specifications.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: