Wet clutch on Massey Ferguson super 90 slips all the time and not sure why

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Wet clutch on Massey Ferguson super 90 slips all the time and not sure why

Fred Zilch i need to know why the wet clutch keeps slipping.
this tractor has sit for five or more years but while he was putting it away for the last time the clutch keep slipping but the whole engine will probly need to be completely rebiult if you have any answer to my problem let me know

Tom Kessenger Is your Super 90 equipped with the optional Multipower? The clutch is hyd. operated on multipower tractors. If it is multipower, the first question is it leaking hyd. fluid when you start the engine. If so, you could have a leaking hyd. hose inside the tractor. My Super 90 clutch rub a hole in the main hyd hose coming from the transmission. The tractor will need to be split but fixing the hose is not very expensive but a lot of work getting to it is. If it is not leaking under pressure there are a lot of other hyd problems that could exist. Purchase a K&T MF-201 manual off the internet. It will tell you how to test the pressure of the hyd system. The tractor has two - a transmission pump which operates the clutch, pto transmission brake and power steering.The other pump operates the 3-point lift. You will need to ready the operating pressure of the system to determine the cause of your problem.The multipower and pto operating pressure should be 225 psig. The pressure from the pump feeds to the power steering system at about 1,200 psi. The fluid leaves the power steering control valve and travels to the clutch control valve. Your main consurn is do you have about 225 psi at the clutch.
shane i"m having the same problem. I have 225 psi when the tractors cold but when it get hot the pressure drop under 225 psi their is a few little drop of fluid coming from underneath the transmission but thats all? my auxilary valve is leaking a lot would this be my trouble or does that pressure come from the pump that works the lift?
Tom Kessenger the auxilary (external) valve is feed by the main lift pump not the transmission pump. Where are you connecting the gauge ( pto pressure switch or the multi-power shift valve). You can get to the multi-power shift valve by removing the inspection plate on the bottom of the clutch housing. This valve has two test ports- on my super these posts are 1/8 npt-f female pipe threads. The port next to the flywheel is the "low" (speed) port and the other is the high port. You can read the pressure in both the high and low clutches at this valve. you will want to check your screen on the transmission pump. By the way, does your power steering, and pto work ok? There is a lot of ground to cover according to what doesn't work. the super (with multi-power)is a fluid power mans delight of undoing. By the way there is a regulator valve in this system but we will get to that later. Let me know about your power steering and pto
Hemant Shoor Dear
I would like to know more about this wet clutch
application over the conventional dry clutch.
If u have any performence reports/details
please mail me.....
thanks & regards.
Hemant

Hemant Shoor Dear,
Please mail me the advantages/applications of
wet clutch in tractor which i am planning
to apply in our local model. Let the application
be HP wise for a perticular model, like it may be
suited best for high HP tractors.
Thanks & regards.
Hemant R. Shoor

THOMAS KESSENGER JUST A SIDE NOTE:
THE MF SUPER 90 MUTI-POWER CLUCH IS REALLY A MULTI DRY DISK CLUTCH THAT IS HYD. OPERATED. THE DISKS OPERATE INDEPENDENTLY OR TOGETHER FOR THE HI-LOW SPEED FEATURE.
IN REGARD TO YOUR QUESTION – ADVANTAGES OF A WET (FRICTION) CLUTCH. MY OPIONIONS
A CLUTCH IS DESIGN TO TRANSMIT TORQUE AND DISSIPATE HEAT (MAINLY DURING THE SLIP PHASE – ENGAGEMENT) THE SPEED OF OPERATION IN RPMS AND CYCLES PER UNIT OF TIME, ALL CONTRIBUTE TO THE HP REQUIREMENTS.
A WET CLUTCH IN MOST CASES CAN BE DESIGNED TO HANDLE MORE HP PER SIZE THAN A DRY CLUTCH. THIS IS DUE TO THE FACT THAT HIGHER CONTACT PRESSURES ARE ALLOWED AND A MUCH BETTER HEAT REJECTION RATE IS POSSIBLE (DUE TO THE USE OF COOLING OIL). SINCE THE DISKS CAN BE THINNER, MULTIPLE DISK PACKS CAN BE MANUFACTURE IN A SMALLER PACKAGE. THIS RESULTS IN A LOT OF AVAILABLE FRACTION AREA (SQ. IN). WET CLUTCHES HAVE BEEN ADVERTIZED TO PROVIDE FOR SMOOTHER OPERATION AND PROVIDE DURABILITY AND LONG OPERATING LIFE. I WOULD THINK THAT IF ONE USED A TRACTOR WITH A FRONT END LOADED (MANY CYCLES IN AN HOUR) A WET CLUTCH WOULD BE PREFERED. IF PLOWING LARGE FIELDS, A DRY CLUTCH IS GREAT. TO SUM UP- IF USED A LOT GO TO A WET CLUTCH-IF NOT STAY WITH SOMETHING SIMPLE.
SOMETHING TO CONSIDER- T=0.5iFaDm T=torque cap’y of disk, i=number of pairs of contact surfaces, f= applicable coefficient of fraction, Fa axial engaging force, Dm=mean diameter of clutch facing.
ALSO A ROUGH ESTIMATION OF THERMAL LOAD DURING THE SLIP PERIOD
0.3 TP 0.5 HP/IN SQ. SOME BOOKS SHOW THAT IT IS EXPECTED THAT A LUBRICATED CLUTCH WOULD HAVE 30 TO 60 PERCENT LOWER OPERATING TEMPERATURE THAN A DRY CLUTCH OF SAME SIZE AND LOADING.

shane i connected the gauge to the pressure switch but have not connected gauge to the multipower shift valve yet or checked the pump screen. Power steering works fine intill main clutch starts slipping or jumping in and out (only slips going up a grade)I noticed when it slips the power steering does not work. It acts like the fluid level is low but the fluid level is fine.PTO has never work since i had it but does work in ground PTO. Waiting for a warm day to check the pressure on the multipower shift valve and to check screen on power steering pump.
holm It sounds to me like the main clutch valve is not seating properly. We had the same problem along time ago and replaced thevalve and housing and that solved the problem.
suresh kumar hi sir,
Can any one give me the information about the tractor models which uses the wet clutch (oil immersed main clutch). if possible the HP also?

John Wickham I need to know how to adjust the pto clutch assembly on a Massey 90 tractor. I don't have a service manual for this tractor. Even an internet link with description or diagrams would be helpful. Thanks for any assistance.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: