MF 40 manual

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

MF 40 manual

Bill I have a friend who needs an operator's manual and/or a shop manual for his MF 40 with a loader and box scraper. The 3 point won't raise unless the tractor is moving. Wrong oil viscosity or is it in the lift mechanism? Seems to have gear oil in the transmission. Any ideas as to where manuals are available? Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Alan Foreman I believe the 3 point is working the way it was designed. The hydraulic pump for the 3 point is under the seat and in the drive train after the clutch. You should have a 2 stage clutch. If depressed all the way down everything stops. If you let it up part way the hydraulics and PTO should work. As you let it up more the drive wheels engage. This is adjustable by the position of the clutch pedal linkage on the shaft going into the transmission. The fluid in the transmission should meet MF specs M-1129A. I believe this is also called Permatran 3 or 4, I can not remember. Is is a combination trans/hydraulic fluid common in many tractors. If the pump works when the tractor is moving the fluid has to be working. I found copies of both manuals on Ebay but I watched for 6 months to find them. If you need a small part of one I can try to scan it in and email it or I will make a copy and send it to you at cost as long as you can wait till I have time. I would not want to do the complete manuals. The operators is 100 pages and the service is 500. This is what I have found working on mine. I am not a qualified technician so keep that in mind. I could always be wrong.
Bill Thanks for the input, Alan. I haven't used the tractor myself, so I'm not sure how it works. I've only observed from the ground. It does have the torque converter pedals, though, so there is no real clutch as I know it. I found an operator's manual on SSB's catalog page and ordered it. It says it's for an MF-40 TLB. I assume that's for tractor-loader-backhoe. I hope it covers the 3 point, too. Thanks again for the good info.

FrankieRider2 We have a '70 MF 30 industrial loader on our farm, and the 3-point lift on it functions the same way as well. I don't know about the clutch takeup info since our loader tractor is a foot-operated "shuttle shift" model. But the clutch on our MF 255 works as Alan describes....

But the lift controls on the MF 30 do not work anything unless the tractor is in motion.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: