SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Massey 35 diesel rebuild oil pressure problem

windmillgeorge I rebuilt my massey 35 3cyl perkins. Full kit. crank turned, undersize bearings. Plastiguaged right on the tight side of the tollerances. Now have tried two new oil pumps. Relief valve checked and I slightly stretched the spring. No difference.
I get 5 psi at idle and 10 at 1500 rpm. Before the rebuild, I had 40 at idle and 60 at 1500 rpm.

Both sump oil lines pressure tested. Compression fittings on each end of each pipe are perfect. Really tight.

Screen is clean, was clean before rebuild.

My only hint of a possiblility is when I remove the oil filtre mount, and blow in the top port, air comes out of all the main bearings, but in my opinion, too freely. Examined the inside of the block very well and no visible problems.

I have been 3 weeks without a tractor that I farm with every day. I am really desperate. I cultivate daily and cannot borrow any local tractors as their wheels will not adjust to the row spacings that I need.

Please please help, george

ponymare Did the block or crank have any plugs that were removed and didn't get replaced?
Windmillgeorge I don't know. took the crank and block to the machine shop, was hot tanked spotless and crank turned. the shop was not much help other than the obvious things.

Does anyone know if there are any plugs inside the engine?

Taylor If you are using a new camshaft and/or new tappets, check the journal size and tolerance on the them verses your block and head.
windmillgeorge I see what you mean, but I did not change the tappets or cam. They should have the exact same tolerance as before the rebuild, neither were touched. Thus, I suspect, I should have the same tollerances as before the rebuild, unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Thanks for the suggestion, it is a valid one. thanks george

ponymare Did you have the block hot tanked, asking because hot tanking can ruin babbit bearings, and cam bearings are babbit.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: