SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Massey 590 spool valve fault

Terry Merry Hi. My 1981 Massey 590 4wd has no output from the auxilliary spool valve couplings. From what I can tell, the Kontak spool valves are supplied by an aux. pump within the rear axle casing which also works the clutch for the PTO. The PTO works which makes me think the pump is working - right or wrong?
Are the spool valves prone to any problems - could I test them?
I don't know if its relevant, but I don't seem to have a remote filter up front - just an oil cooler.
Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Geoff Terry the auxillary pump situated inside the rear housing has a low and high pressure side....in other a dual pump. The low pressure side is somewhere about 200 psi and operates the PTO....4WD and the high pressure side operates the spool valves...3000psi..give or take. One of the most common faults on that pump is for the relief valve to unscrew itself and it lands on top of the pump and lies there till you refit it. The internal pipe from the high pressure side of the pump to the left hand side plate manifild which feeds the spool valves is also prone to cracking/breaking....both faulrs require the lift top cover to be removed to repair either of these faults.....Geoff
Terry Merry Thanks for that Geoff, very helpful. Cab floor and lift top cover removal sounds OK. I wonder if I'd see anything through either side cover. If I wanted to refurbish the main lift pump do you think I could do that at the same time - it judders - the manual says I need to split the tractor which is a job I don't relish. T
Geoff Gane If you want to fefurb the main hydraulic pump then I'm afraid there is no short cut and the tractor has to be split....scarey if you ain't done it before but once settled in to it it takes about 2-3 days....I have done a few. Why not try changing the hydraulic suction filter? or at least wash it out with petrol on something similar. if it looks clean it might be as well to replace it as I have seen a "good looking" filter to be faulty...Geoff
Terry Merry Time has passed and the 590 has gone to be repaired.The aux pump fault was exactly as predicted - the pressure relief valve had fallen out and was found in the bottom of the axle casing. The main pump was worn out - broken piston rings etc. The tractor has been split between the rear axle and gearbox and new parts are being fitted. Should be back to me soon.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: