Furguson starting trouble

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Furguson starting trouble

CowboyTrails I have a 1950's furguson tractor that was working fine but now when I go to start it all I get is a single click noise and nothing else, I took it into the repair shop recently and they rebuilt the starter, added new battery cables and ignition switch. I can not think of anything else that I can do to get it started. Anybody have ideas/suggestions?
AJ Sounds like the starter motor still has a problem,find the light wire on the starter and with the tractor out of gear cross it from the heavy cable and see if it turns over the engine,if not and the battery is full it would suggest the starter motor,if it does turn over it would suggest the starter switch.
Good Luck AJ

Richard Chisholm 1. Check that the earth contact is clean against the block
2. You dont mention the battery. 6 volt batteries can give trouble. try jumper leads and get the battery tested for dud cells with a hydrometer
3. Are you sure the engine is not siezed after winter?

ED PAT I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, FIST I WENT AND GOT A FULLY CHARGE BATTERY. THE STARTER WAS GETTING VERY HOT AND THERE WAS HYDRAULIC FLUID COMING OUT OF THE STARTER. AFTER TAKING IT TO LIBERTY , THE TRACTOR WAS REPLACED WITH NEW SEALS. YOU KNOW THAT THE STARTER ;ESPECIALLY A NEW STARTER CAN BE BAD. A BATTERY ALSO MUST HAVE ENOUGH CRANK AMPERAGE TO TURN THE STARTER. tAKE A HAMMER AND LIGHTLY TAP THE STARTER. THIS WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA IF IT IS THE STARTER. GOOD LUCK ED
ED PAT I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, FIRST I WENT AND GOT A FULLY CHARGE BATTERY. THE STARTER WAS GETTING VERY HOT AND THERE WAS HYDRAULIC FLUID COMING OUT OF THE STARTER. AFTER TAKING IT TO LIBERTY , THE TRACTOR WAS REPLACED WITH NEW SEALS. YOU KNOW THAT THE STARTER ;ESPECIALLY A NEW STARTER CAN BE BAD. A BATTERY ALSO MUST HAVE ENOUGH CRANK AMPERAGE TO TURN THE STARTER. tAKE A HAMMER AND LIGHTLY TAP THE STARTER. THIS WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA IF IT IS THE STARTER. GOOD LUCK ED
Joe your starter problem sounds like a selanoid problem to me. I just purchased a 19-? TE-A20 fergie and the ID. tag is missing on the steering wheel brace and i'm trying to find somebody to help me figure out what i have. The serial no. is C18744E. Can you help me or no somebody that can.
Thanks, Joe from Indiana

Stan similar situation. Can you roll it off? My starter ring had moved back and was jammed against the bell housing. Just as if the motor was locked.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: