Generator problems

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Generator problems

Kurt I think I have a bad generator. I start the tractor, disconnect one of the leads, and the tractor quits running. I then disconnected the two wires from the F and A post on the generator. Hooked up a volt meter. Zero volts. One more thing. How can you tell if the tractor has been updated to a 12 volt system? Thank you in advance.
Ted Hawk I have had a number of old generators that would not charge because they needed flashed. To do this . Remove the belt. Connect a wire from the positive of a charged battery(assuming you have a negative ground system). The generator should motor fast at first then slow down a bit. If this doesn't motor the generator then check the brushes for hanging up or being worn out. If the generator motors then check out your voltage regulator. If I can be of any help please email me. Thanks ted
Ted Hawk Kurt , Normally if the tractor runs with the generator connected and quits when you diconnect it . It would indicate that the battery is dead. When you start your tractor are you pull starting it, jump starting it or starting from the battery in the tractor? Most 12 volt conversions would use a 12 volt generator which should be marked on the generator plate. Let me know everything you can and I should be able to help you fix it. Thanks ted
Richard Chisholm 1. Its a 6v if the battery only has 3 caps on it and a 12 if it has 6. Look on the side of the generator too. It usually has 6v or 12v stamped on it
2. The problem is probably just worn brushes. Piece of cake to fit new ones and quite cheap

Rod Hayes Ted: in jumping wire from positive side of battery on neg ground system. which wire on generator do you jump to? or does it make any difference. I have the same problem as Kurt.
part 2 how do you set the field on a replacement generator for TO30.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: