SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Tappet Noise TO35 Gas

fred hart
Tappet Noise TO35 Gas

1957 TO-35 Gas Ferguson Tractor Z134 engine

The tractor runs good and idles at 400 rpm's.

The other day i noticed a tappet noise at high speed when i was plowing. At idle there is no tappet noise. Have a loud upright muffler on tractor, so it is hard to tell motor noise.

I run shell rotella 15w40 oil in tractor and it hold good oil pressure. I also tried adding Marvel Mystery oil to both oil and to gas, but so far, tappet noise is still there at high speed.

why would you be able to hear tappet noise at high speed and not at idle??????

engine runs and pulls good.

any suggestions,

would you just leave it alone, since motor is still running good, etc: wait until it gets worse, maybe it will not get any worse.

wellmax99 after some discussion on the tappet type noise my TO-35 Fergy has,

The problem may not be a tappet at all, but an Manifold exhaust gasket leaking.

so that is where i am going to start, replace the exhaust manifold gasket.

GEEBEE If it was tappets you would also expect to hear them at idle, could possibly be combustion knock if the timing is out
AJ Check the fan belt to see it not shreading or the fan touching anything,then use the high tec listening device (piece of wood to the ear)to see where on the engine the noise coming from,(careful of the fan)if it is the rocker box you will need to adjust the tappets,it could be the timing chain,rocker shaft bushes etc.
AJ

hutch Hi Fred Hart
To check the manifold for leaks Fill a Coke bottle with water ,start the engine and pour the water around the manifold you will soon see if it is leaking without taking it of.
Happy days
Hutch.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: