12 or 6 volt

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

12 or 6 volt

Kurt I think the 1948 TO-20 Furguson I just bought has been converted to a 12 system. The battery will not hold a charge. It has the original generater on it. How would I know if it has been converted, and why convert it to a 12 volt system? Thank you in advance, Kurt
AJ The reason people convert from 6V to 12V is better starting,ignition and lights,if your battery is not holding the charge and you think the tractor is draining it while stopped do this simple test,switch everything on the tractor off and disconnect the earth lead from the battery,connect a small test lamp of low wattage between the earth cable and battery connection and see if the test lamp lights up,if it does there is a fault somewhere or something is switched on and it will have to be found and repaired,or maybe your battery has a bad cell
AJ

Kurt Thank you for the post. I will try what you said, and follow up with my results

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: