cracked blocks

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

cracked blocks

jim (ky) From reading the posts on this board it seems that these TO-tractors are bad about block cracks. Are there weak points in the blocks or is this caused by overheating? I just bought a TO-30 2 weeks ago with stuck engine and have'nt had a chance to check it out just wondering what to expect. Thanks Jim.
Fred Pevey Yes, this particular engine has a history of cracks between lower (and sometimes upper)cylinder webs. The best way to repair them is to tear the engine down and drill a 9/32" hole down into all the cracks about 3/4", tap it for an 8/32" screw.
Flush it good with aerosol brake cleaning fluid.
Fill each tapped hole with JB Weld mixed according to directions. Screw in an 8/32 screw and let set for about 24 hrs. Clip off the screw head and file or grind off any spurs and reassemble the engine. This should hold be better than original and hold for years.

chris boyett After having bought a TO-30 recently, I discovered that the cracks between the cylinders
is "the" problem with ALL of these tractors. I had a struggle with whether to attempt a repair myself (and possibly waste money on the rebuild)
or have it repaired at a shop and get a warranty
with it. My block is now in the shop getting these
cracks fixed.(with warranty) The shop I am using is in Waco,Tx. and they fix it by drilling into the side of the block,inserting stainless bolts and pulling the block back together again thus closing the cracks!! If you want their address, send me and an e-mail and I can give you their name and number. The price for the repair is $175.00 Everywhere else I checked wanted $350 to weld it with a very limited warranty.

Patrick Duffy Very old post, but I am giving it a try. Can you tell me the name of the shop that can do this in Waco?

Patrick Duffy

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: