SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

mf 1040

carey j I just bought an 86 1040 that's been sitting for several years but only has 285 hours n has never been abused I'm working out air in the fuel. But I also have another problem my brakes appear to be stuck. I know it could also be the clutch but I can't pull it in neutral either. So I'm figuring brakes. Also wondering how you could check glow plugs? Real excited about tractor though dads had a 49 Ford 8n he bought when I was a kid. Since he's getting older I would love for him to have a tractor with more options. Plus its a life long friends granddads ole tractor ready to get her working! Any knowledge and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks
Terry I can tell you how I checked the GPs on my MF1010, and I expect it would work on your tractor too.

Remove the plugs from the tractor. Lay a plug across some metal so that it has a good ground. I used the tongue of my utility trailer, laying the plug across the trailer jack mount. Attach the positive lead of a 12 volt battery charger to the top of the plug where the wire attaches, and clamp the negative lead elsewhere to the metal, away from the tip of the plug. You want the current to flow into the plug and to the ground. Now plug in the battery charger.

With the GPs from my 1010, the glow plugs did nothing for 10 seconds, then they turned bright orange. That told me all I needed to know. And I also learned to use them for more than 10 seconds before trying to start the tractor!

You can also check resistance with an ohmmeter, but I do not know the values for your plugs. On the 1010 and 1020, it is .23 ohms. Perhaps someone will chime in with the value for your GPs.

Good luck with them.

carey j Thanks terry!!
Kevin Anyone know where I can get an injector pump for the MF 1040 or parts for a rebuild?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: