SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Fluids for MF 35 gas tractor

Bill Coulter Manual says to use straight mineral oil in rear end, however this is expensive as I have a slow leak in the system. The oil leaks out a hole underneath the tractor that has a cotterpin dangling from it. Is there an alternative oil that is suitable and less expensive?? I think the engine uses SAE 30??
GEEBEE There is only 2 types of oil that are suitable, GL1 mineral oil which is what you are using, and 15w40 motor oil which is what we use in both the engine and trans/hyd. In your case i don't think you would save any money by switching, by far the best solution is to split the tractor and fix the leaking trans input shaft seal before the clutch gets contaminated and you have to replace that.
Fred Hart Bill,
my to-35 leaks some oil out of the differential,
I buy the gl-1 mineral oil a NAPA you can get it in gals and 5 gals. Cheapest i have found this oil anywhere.

what i do is keep the oil level at the midway pt, i raise the lift arms so there is oil in the lift cylinder and fill oil level until its at the mid point, thats plenty of oil and you have much less leakage.

never park the tractor with the front of the tractor heading down hill, this will cause more leakage.

I have had mine fixed in the past but it only slowed it down, not completely stopped the leak.

Note: that little carter key is your best friend, it keeps that drain hole open as you drive through grass it turns and keeps hole open.

I got stuck once and the hole got plugged
with mud and did not drive in grass for awhile,
oil built up and ruined the clutch.

good luck,

Bill Coulter Thank you Fred & Geebee for your advise. BC

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments: