1953 Masey TO30 quits under load-Help

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!
Search This Message Board:

1953 Masey TO30 quits under load-Help

Leon My tractor starts fine, with a slight missing on firing. Hasn't backfired but as it warms up and used for pulling or climbs hill loses power and runs much rougher until it quits. If I wait a while she'll start as normal and start process over again. Is this a sign of poor piston compression or valve timing? Distributor cap, points and rotor recently replaced with spark plugs. Timing on points nearly impossible to adjust from manual discription. Also looked for flywheel stamped with zero or "DC" mark and 30-35 degree increments to index to pointer to confirm valve timing but damnes if I can find it. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance - Leon
rick : My tractor starts fine, with a slight missing on firing. Hasn't backfired but as it warms up and used for pulling or climbs hill loses power and runs much rougher until it quits. If I wait a while she'll start as normal and start process over again. Is this a sign of poor piston compression or valve timing? Distributor cap, points and rotor recently replaced with spark plugs. Timing on points nearly impossible to adjust from manual discription. Also looked for flywheel stamped with zero or "DC" mark and 30-35 degree increments to index to pointer to confirm valve timing but damnes if I can find it. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance - Leon you might what to check the coil.

jspal : My tractor starts fine, with a slight missing on firing. Hasn't backfired but as it warms up and used for pulling or climbs hill loses power and runs much rougher until it quits. If I wait a while she'll start as normal and start process over again. Is this a sign of poor piston compression or valve timing? Distributor cap, points and rotor recently replaced with spark plugs. Timing on points nearly impossible to adjust from manual discription. Also looked for flywheel stamped with zero or "DC" mark and 30-35 degree increments to index to pointer to confirm valve timing but damnes if I can find it. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance - Leon

Billy McCarver You need to check the wiring at the coil and see if it is wired correctly. My grandfather had lent his tractor to his neighbor whose calves had chewed the wiring up. The neighbor repaired the wiring but connected the coil backwards. The tractor would start ok but would start to miss as the engine warmed up and finally quit running. If memory serves, the timing mark on the flywheel is visible through a hole on the left side.(Continental Z129 engine) Timing is set by having the crankshaft turned to top dead center or timing mark with rotor pointing to cylinder 1 of dist cap: connect an automotive test light probe to ground and the terminal on the coil leading to the coil. Watch points and rotate distributer to where the points just open (light comes on). Lock it down and the timing is set. If you really want to get closer, use a timing light and point it into the hole to see the mark on the flywheel. Be sure that the idle speed is slow as the centrifugal advance in the distributer will throw your results off. I've found the light bulb method is generally all that is needed. If you haven't messed with the distributer timing, the coil wiring should fix it. Keep in mind that sometimes, coils go bad and will misfire as they warm up. Point setting .020, Plug gap .020-.028
Hope this helps.

Tom I am having this same problem. I change out the coil, but not the resistor. I re-wired it same as it was on when I took the old coil off. I had some work done last Fall, so I am not sure if they got it back on correct. Does the +(positive) go to the resistor and the -(negative) go to the distributor?

Thanks for your help!

My tractor starts fine, with a slight missing on firing. Hasn't backfired but as it warms up and used for pulling or climbs hill loses power and runs much rougher until it quits. If I wait a while she'll start as normal and start process over again.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: