Axle seal leak

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!
Search This Message Board:

Axle seal leak

Len Rugen I have a MF 255 and it looks like the outboard axle seal is leaking. The oil in the planetary leaks down a inch or so very quickly and leaves a puddle inside the rim.

How hard is this to change? It looks like the planetary must be disassembled. My book talks about resetting the "pre load" on the bearings but it isn't clear.

Thanks for any suggestions

Ian Crawford : I have a MF 255 and it looks like the outboard axle seal is leaking. The oil in the planetary leaks down a inch or so very quickly and leaves a puddle inside the rim.

: How hard is this to change? It looks like the planetary must be disassembled. My book talks about resetting the "pre load" on the bearings but it isn't clear.

: Thanks for any suggestions
The seal replacement is not an easy job, the planetary carrier has to be removed and these are pressed on to the axle and are VERY tight,M.F. supply a special puller to remove the carrier because a press will not do the job (accept to refit the carrier) the preload also requires a special tool to check, and uses calibrated 1/2 round shims to set preload - you are probably better off removing the hub assembly and taking it to a M.F dealer - sorry.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: