SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

diesel fuel problems - priming

Mike I had to prime the fuel pump after letting the thing run out of fuel. It went well and ran fine with no missfires or lack of power. However it stops (seems to run out of fuel) after about 15-20 minutes of runtime. I bleed and prime system again, as per manual instructions but problems returns after a short time. I have changed fuel filter and run tractor after doing so, but for same intervals of time. At times, will priming the fuel lift pump by hand (pumping the lever) I get no air or fuel coming out of the number 1 air plug on the filter, even after a couple hundred pumps (slow and quick). Does this mean the lift pump is not working, or could there be a leak somewhere else in the system? Sometimes I go out hours later and pump the lever, after opening the air plug, and it pumps air then fuel again. It always seems to have resistence, iven when not discharging anything. I even hit the started to reposition the cam on the crankshaft relative to the fuel lift pump. What am I doing wrong, or what should I be looking for? Thanks for your help. By the way this is a MF 265 with a bucket that makes it a pain to even get into these areas.
GEEBEE Mike , i think your 265 has the small filter in the fuel tank above the shutoff, could be partially blocked , there is also a mesh screen in the top of the lift pump, check the fuel line while you have it apart, if that all checks out could be a lift pump problem
mikejphi GEEBEE, I thank you for the help on this one. Fuel was flow freely from the tank to the fuel lift pump. I replaced the pump and it has been fine since then. Thanks for your advice.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: