MF Ground Speed Proportional PTO

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!
Search This Message Board:

MF Ground Speed Proportional PTO

John Would like to know which MF model with a ground proportional PTO selection and pressure control in the hitch function had the most PTO HP. Most 150s and 175s were built this way. Are there later and larger models in both the ag and construction side of the production.?
Big Dean John I was a Massey Ferguson mechanic for 27 years I dont know of anything larger than the MF175 that had Ground speed. Most of the MF165 & 175 had Independent PTO with no ground speed.But there are a few out there with Ground speed.

John : John I was a Massey Ferguson mechanic for 27 years I dont know of anything larger than the MF175 that had Ground speed. Most of the MF165 & 175 had Independent PTO with no ground speed.But there are a few out there with Ground speed.

Big Dean,

Thanks for the response. Are you sure we are not talking about a continuous running PTO design? (Three position selector on the left side of the case) I have never seen a true independent PTO on a 1** series tractor.

John : John I was a Massey Ferguson mechanic for 27 years I dont know of anything larger than the MF175 that had Ground speed. Most of the MF165 & 175 had Independent PTO with no ground speed.But there are a few out there with Ground speed.

Big Dean,

Thanks for the response. Are you sure we are not talking about a continuous running PTO design? (Three position selector on the left side of the case) I have never seen a true independent PTO on a 1** series tractor.

John : : John I was a Massey Ferguson mechanic for 27 years I dont know of anything larger than the MF175 that had Ground speed. Most of the MF165 & 175 had Independent PTO with no ground speed.But there are a few out there with Ground speed.

: Big Dean,

: Thanks for the response. Are you sure we are not talking about a continuous running PTO design? (Three position selector on the left side of the case) I have never seen a true independent PTO on a 1** series tractor.

Did the 2** or any later tractors have this PTO function too.

The idea, by the way, is to use this feature like the potato farms in Maine did. Take a truck frame/transmission/axle assembly, connect the shaft, gear down until the truck differential overruns the PTO very slightly on hard ground through an overrunning clutch robbed from almost anything. This works great in just one gear without the ground proportional PTO. With the ground proportional PTO you can drive normally on all types of rugged conditions

The idea with the pressure control is that the OEM weight transfer hitch is a dream device to use. The concept did not sell well, but it turns a little 150 into a 3020 JD +/- if set up right.

The idea behind the industrial part of the question was the possible heavier front axle. The 150-175 loader possiblities and just too light or tough on the castings and axle.

An industrial 275 or latter with mechanical front steering axle, a ground proportional PTO, and a Cat. 2 three point with pressure control would be a dream find. By the way, I have never seen a 150-180 without pressure control as a fourth hitch control fucntion. Have you?

John : : John I was a Massey Ferguson mechanic for 27 years I dont know of anything larger than the MF175 that had Ground speed. Most of the MF165 & 175 had Independent PTO with no ground speed.But there are a few out there with Ground speed.

: Big Dean,

: Thanks for the response. Are you sure we are not talking about a continuous running PTO design? (Three position selector on the left side of the case) I have never seen a true independent PTO on a 1** series tractor.

Did the 2** or any later tractors have this PTO function too.

The idea, by the way, is to use this feature like the potato farms in Maine did. Take a truck frame/transmission/axle assembly, connect the shaft, gear down until the truck differential overruns the PTO very slightly on hard ground through an overrunning clutch robbed from almost anything. This works great in just one gear without the ground proportional PTO. With the ground proportional PTO you can drive normally on all types of rugged conditions

The idea with the pressure control is that the OEM weight transfer hitch is a dream device to use. The concept did not sell well, but it turns a little 150 into a 3020 JD +/- if set up right.

The idea behind the industrial part of the question was the possible heavier front axle. The 150-175 loader possiblities and just too light or tough on the castings and axle.

An industrial 275 or latter with mechanical front steering axle, a ground proportional PTO, and a Cat. 2 three point with pressure control would be a dream find. By the way, I have never seen a 150-180 without pressure control as a fourth hitch control fucntion. Have you?

Big Dean Yes, I am sure that they have Independent PTO there was even a few MF135 with it. The PTO & three point pump are driven by a hub built in to the pressure plate as long as the engine is running they will operate the PTO is engaged by a hydraulically controled clutch pack between the 3 point pump & the PTO shaft. The 200 series has the INPTO also. It was a option on the smaller tractor. From the MF165 up & the MF265 up they were more common than the manual engaged PTO that used the dual clutch. The pressure control can be added to any of the tractors by changing the lift cover from one with pressure control & adding the pressure control hitch. I have done it the other way several times. There is a ways you could take a tractor with what you want on it & bolt it to the engine & front axle of a 1080 or 1085. You could also do this with an MF50-50A or 50C engine & front axle. I have done A lot of this sort of thing though the years. If you would like to talk to me on this send me an Email & I will send you my phone # I don't want to post it here Big Dean
Big Dean Yes, I am sure that they have Independent PTO there was even a few MF135 with it. The PTO & three point pump are driven by a hub built in to the pressure plate as long as the engine is running they will operate the PTO is engaged by a hydraulically controled clutch pack between the 3 point pump & the PTO shaft. The 200 series has the INPTO also. It was a option on the smaller tractor. From the MF165 up & the MF265 up they were more common than the manual engaged PTO that used the dual clutch. The pressure control can be added to any of the tractors by changing the lift cover from one with pressure control & adding the pressure control hitch. I have done it the other way several times. There is a ways you could take a tractor with what you want on it & bolt it to the engine & front axle of a 1080 or 1085. You could also do this with an MF50-50A or 50C engine & front axle. I have done A lot of this sort of thing though the years. If you would like to talk to me on this send me an Email & I will send you my phone # I don't want to post it here Big Dean
John : Yes, I am sure that they have Independent PTO there was even a few MF135 with it. The PTO & three point pump are driven by a hub built in to the pressure plate as long as the engine is running they will operate the PTO is engaged by a hydraulically controled clutch pack between the 3 point pump & the PTO shaft. The 200 series has the INPTO also. It was a option on the smaller tractor. From the MF165 up & the MF265 up they were more common than the manual engaged PTO that used the dual clutch. The pressure control can be added to any of the tractors by changing the lift cover from one with pressure control & adding the pressure control hitch. I have done it the other way several times. There is a ways you could take a tractor with what you want on it & bolt it to the engine & front axle of a 1080 or 1085. You could also do this with an MF50-50A or 50C engine & front axle. I have done A lot of this sort of thing though the years. If you would like to talk to me on this send me an Email & I will send you my phone # I don't want to post it here Big Dean

Big Dean,

I do not find you email here to send to.

By the way, I have heard (but never seen) that MF had a boom pressure control equipped larger category tractors. I have seen pictures of a related cone and socket transfer hitch for 1100 class tractors. This seemed to suffer the disability of being inapplicable in PTO applications due to the variable lower link height. Have you come across a larger sized boom hitch than that for the 150 - 175 tractors.?

Thanks.

John

John : Yes, I am sure that they have Independent PTO there was even a few MF135 with it. The PTO & three point pump are driven by a hub built in to the pressure plate as long as the engine is running they will operate the PTO is engaged by a hydraulically controled clutch pack between the 3 point pump & the PTO shaft. The 200 series has the INPTO also. It was a option on the smaller tractor. From the MF165 up & the MF265 up they were more common than the manual engaged PTO that used the dual clutch. The pressure control can be added to any of the tractors by changing the lift cover from one with pressure control & adding the pressure control hitch. I have done it the other way several times. There is a ways you could take a tractor with what you want on it & bolt it to the engine & front axle of a 1080 or 1085. You could also do this with an MF50-50A or 50C engine & front axle. I have done A lot of this sort of thing though the years. If you would like to talk to me on this send me an Email & I will send you my phone # I don't want to post it here Big Dean

Big Dean,

I do not find you email here to send to.

By the way, I have heard (but never seen) that MF had a boom pressure control equipped larger category tractors. I have seen pictures of a related cone and socket transfer hitch for 1100 class tractors. This seemed to suffer the disability of being inapplicable in PTO applications due to the variable lower link height. Have you come across a larger sized boom hitch than that for the 150 - 175 tractors.?

Thanks.

John

Big Dean
John you lost me on the boom hitch I don't know what you are talking about. The MF1100 series tractors did have pressure control on them. I have only saw one with the pressure control hitch on it. Pressure control was very popular in the Iowa & eastern Nebraska area. It was not used vary much around here so there was not many with the hitch on them here. My Email address is or you can click on my name at the top of my post it will give you my email. Big Dean

kevin : Would like to know what the ground speed ratio is per tractor tire revolution on a model MF 175?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: