SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Smoking starter

Calvin Hi guys,
The starter motor on my 1966 MF135 does not always engage. It sometimes whirrs and smokes from the rear end.
Does anyone know what causes this problem. Can these starters be serviced (brushes etc) or will I need a new one.

GEEBEE I would first take off all the wire connections battery and starter clean them up good, if this don't cure it take the starter off and get it checked out at a repair shop.
Dave I I had a similar problem with my '66 304.
My starter was easy to pull apart, just a couple of long skinny bolts running the lenght of the housing. Undo them and pull the back cover off.
Mine had dirt and oil(?) around the contacts for the brushes. I scraped out what I could with a 1/8" screwdriver and blew out the rest with electro-clean. When I put it back together, I used liquid tape to cover any connection inside the starter to prevent this from happening again.
It sounds like you will need to clean & lube the bendix also. Use some WD-40 (or similar) to clean the debris off and I have found that white lithium grease works well for these.
They are very basic starters and if you have some mechanical ability this should be an easy fix. If you need brushes, you should be able to order some from a starter/alternator shop. Just take your old ones down and match them up.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: