SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Trouble TO 30 12 Volt Conversion

Wayne Viers I am having trouble with TO 30 12 volt conversion. I did all the wiring check it look like the info I had. Put in new 12 Volt Battery it started right off. Tried to turn it off and it would not, I do have a diode in the wire to the ignition. I put the coil wire. Check all wiring made some changes. Now I am not getting any fire from the coil. Turns over great but will not fire. I have also bought a new coil.

Any help would be appreciated

GEEBEE Sounds like you were almost there when you had it were it wouldn't turn off, did you check to see if ya had the diode the right way round in the wire from ignition switch, the Silver or White end goes to the alternator ?? Are you using an internally regulated alternator like a GM 10-SI ?
Wayne Viers Yes, I checked and it was correct and I am using alternator like a GM 10-SI. Its not getting any fire from the coil not a spark at all even with a new coil.
Jerold Ketron Have you checked the points and condenser? They may have been burned to a crisp, if a resistor wasn't put in to drop the voltage to around 6 volts when you first installed the conversion kit. I would try removing the Distributer cap and rotor and then turn the key on, remove the coil wire from dist cap and place the end about 1/4 inch from any metal portion of the engine, using a small insulated tool, open and close the points to see if you get a spark, if not you either have the ignition wired wrong or the points and condenser is shot, Ignition should have 12 volts on one terminal, and the other terminal should go to the dropping resistor or Positive side of the resisted coil (if you installed one) and from the other side of the negative coil it should go to the Distributer. Hope this helps

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: