SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Massey 165 Clutch

Reg Smith I tried adjusting the clutch pedal as per manual instructions. The adjustment is to have a 1/8" gap between the bell housing and the clutch rocker at the point where the pressure of the clutch yoke can be felt. The gap was about 1/4". I followed the procedure but when finished there was little or no pressure on the clutch pedal. With the clutch inspection panel removed I could see that the bearing assembly moved properly back and forth but the clutch yoke was nowhere near the bearing pressure plate except when the clutch pedal was fully depressed. The slight pedal pressure was from the return springs of the bearing assembly and not the clutch springs. Is it possible the clutch has stuck in the 'full on' position and if so how can it be released? I did start the engine and ran it for a few minutes hoping the rotation and vibration would cause it to release. No luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Reg

Jeff Z. If the clutch is stuck there are a couple of ways to release it.
One is to spray the clutch plate and fly wheel with brake cleaner.
The other way that I have done several times is to start the tractor in gear in a safe open area and give the brakes a hard stab.
Don't try to stop the tractor but just stab them.

Reg Thanks Jeff. From what I can see the clutch is stuck in a position as if the clutch pedal were pressed all the way down. It won't allow the tractor to move. My other problem is that my 165 is a diesel and I can't start it until I figure out how to bypass the safety feature that prevents the engine starter from working if the tractor is in gear.
Reg

Geoff Reg just remove the 2 wires on the safety swich and join them...this will allow you to start the tractor without having to put the range lever in the "S" position.....BUT PLEASE BE CAREFUL !!!....Geoff

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: