SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

T20 gearbox oil

Greg I have just aquired a 1948 T20. When I remove the large oil cap next to the gear shift and "stick" it to the bottom of the gearbox, the stick comes back with only about 2" of lube oil on it. I am sure i am getting to the bottom. It looks and smells like 90W oil. What should it be and how much should be in there? Also back near the rear axel on the right side is a dip stick. that comes out showing the level to be ok. Is that the same reservoir? If so then the level is showing good right? I've never been on this site b-4 and this is my first tractor of any kind so thanks in advance for any help.
Geoff Greg you have it in one. NEVER dip oil level with a stick or similar....bits might break off it and land in the gearbox etc and there is bound to be muck and dirt on it ir anything else you might care to use. You are correct about the dipstick on the right hand side plate...that is your oil level indicator for the gearbox,..hydraulic system and differential....what you see on it is the correct level...Geoff
Greg Thanks, I was very careful. I used a 1/8" bamboo dowell. Not my first time. I still would like to know what the correct lube oil is and what the capacity is. Thanks in advance.

Greg

Geoff Greg the info i have in my workshop manual is 5 gallons for trans capacity and from my slowly decreasing memory bank i think the oil was a 40w grade....Geoff

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: