SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

MF 431 Start Problems

Wade Greene My dad has a MF 431 with a starting problem. I would not start (starter would never turn over). I checked the wiring between the switch (through the PTO & transmission safety switches) and the starter relay. The relay is never energized to supply power to the starter unless I have multimeter across the legs of the relay. In other words I can put a multimeter on the positive and negative side of relay coil and it starts. Without the multimeter it will not start. I swapped the starter relay and glow plug relay (which works) and same results, so that should elimnate the relay. I removed the relay and checked the voltage for the coil of the relay and get 11.7 v. I checked the resistance of the relay and got 58 ohms.

Has anyone got experience with this type of problem, and/or have a solution?

Jon I'm not sure how old this post is, but I have the same tractor and the same symptoms. Did you ever find the solution?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: