SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

pto will not stay engaged

wayne martin Massey 235 ,pto frequently comes out of gear .Temporary solution is to secure in gear with a wire. To premanently fix assume the side plate has to be removed.Do not know what to expect.Is this problem identified inside the plate and easily corrected? I do not want to go inside the gears etc myself.I assume this mechinisym is spring or bearing dent etc. Will fluid have to be drained just recently changed.
gary it sounds to me like you have a bearing problem in the trasmission, one or more bearings have too much wear and gears are not alligning properly causing the gears to walk off of each other, tying lever in possition will cause rapid wear on gears, best solution split tractor and disasembletranny, I had same problm with a farmall where it would come out of high gear,unless i held shifter in possition, good luck
GEEBEE Wayne, it is possible you have a lot of wear in the roll pin that holds the PTO handle onto the shift shaft, this will cause the detent on the shaft to not fully engage. Drain oil to bottom bolt hole on side plate and remove to inspect.
wayne martin Gary wouldn,t this problem likely be in the pto shifter mech.The transmission does not slip out of gear and there is no noise when the PTO shifter slips out of gear.
I may not fully understand your answer but splitting the tractor is beyond my skills and this is last resort.I want this to be something easy????

wayne martin Gary wouldn,t this problem likely be in the pto shifter mech.The transmission does not slip out of gear and there is no noise when the PTO shifter slips out of gear.
I may not fully understand your answer but splitting the tractor is beyond my skills and this is last resort.I want this to be something easy????

wayne martin Thanks ,this is the area that I suspect is causing the trouble.Unless I am surprised this appears to be fairly easy to repair .I have never seen what this looks like inside but assume it will slide back in place after removal.Hope the dealer can obtain to part.Thanks again your and others advise.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: