MF35 with multiple problems starting with leaking injector pump

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

MF35 with multiple problems starting with leaking injector pump

Jim Bortz Purchased refurbished MF35 a year ago. It now has started showing it's age. For now I will start with a leaking injector pump. First, I am a mechanic, but mainly on gas burners. Question is do I remove injector pump myself. I know enough that there is something to do with correct timing. What are the ins & outs of removing & reinstalling injector pump. If I take it off, is it simple enough for myself to regasket or should I remove it & have done at my local diesel shop? I would appreciate any input! Thanks Jim
Geoff Gane Jim it's relatively simple to remove the pump....disconnect the linkages and the injector pipes...remove the round inspection cover on the timing cover held on with 4 1/2"AF headed setscrews...this will give access to the pump timing gear which is also held on with 1/2" setscrews....remove them being careful not to let them fall inside..(it's happened before)....you can now remove the 3 1/2" nuts holding the pump on to the outside of the timing cover....mark the position of the pump on the cover before you remove it....it cannot be put on in the wrong position as there is a locating peg in the timing gear which locates in a slot in the hub of the fuel pump...you can regasket if you feel able but make sure the pump is hospital condition clean before doing so...be careful when you take the top cover off as the governor spring can be easily damaged ...not the position of it..ie what holes either end are in ...this is important....hope this helps you....Regards...Geoff
Jim Bortz Appreciate the info, now I need to find the parts to fix it. Fun for me!!lol jim
Morten Aha! inspetion cover to pump timing gear...
having spendt a lot of time this afternoon trying to find a marking on the crankshaft wheel, so I could get the pistons in the right position before removing the pump, this explains a lot!
My injector pump is leaking diesel into the oil chamber, so i guess there must be a leaking gasket between the pump and the timing gear.

Thanks a lot Geoff for sharing your knowlegde with us!

Regards Morten

Miles I recently replaced an injector pump and the locating peg on the timing gear was missing. After the third try I got it on in the right position. Very frustrating as it does take some time to remove all the various lines etc. form the pump.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: