1948 Ferguson TE-20 PTO Hydraulics

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

1948 Ferguson TE-20 PTO Hydraulics

Dave I was grading the road when the hydraulics to lift the blade suddenly quit. Does anyone have any ideas on what we should look for? Could it possibly be that we will have to split the tractor and change a filter for the hydraulics?
Any good ideas on what to look for would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Phil Allen I have a TE20 (Petrol/Kero) of 1957 vintage which I rebuilt in 2005.
If yours is the same or similar, the hydraulics are powered by the same shaft that drives the power take-off at the back. If it is going around when the lever on the left is pushed down, then the problem is in the hydraulics.

The hydraulics are contolled by a valve (down in the hydraulic pump)which is hooked up to the control handle on the left of the seat, via a series of lever brackets inside the housing.
The valve looks a bit like a 2 inch long bullet and is held in position by a small split pin or circlip. If this pin is dislodged - no hydraulics.

In my case the the valve was broken in half.
Someone had attempeted to braze the two pieces together in the tractor but missed. I made a new one up out of stainless steel on the lathe.

To remove the hydraulic pump from underneath the tractor you have to drain the oil and remove the power take off shaft by removing the four bolts at the rear and slide the whole shaft out. Then you have to remove the left hand lever cover plate and remove the pin from the middle of the lever bracket arrangement. Then you can remove the bolts underneath holding the whole hydraulic pump in place and lower the hydraulic pump out of the housing.

That's enough info for now. Come back to me if this has been any help. You really need a copy of the Manual.

Phil

John Winn i have a TE20 , not sure of the year, i have rebuilt the engine completely back to the fly wheel , i am having problems with the hyrdaulics , they appear to want to lift but no pressure , do you have a solution to what it can be , before i perform open heart surgery on the rear end .
any advice would be greatly appreciated ,
John

Piercey robert I am rebuilding a te20 year unknown hydraulics seem to work fine, I have a small McConnell bake, can I power the bako from the internal pump inside the the tractor, and if so where do I connect to ?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: