MF165 rear hsg.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

MF165 rear hsg.

simon Why do I have to drain the trans, and rear end oil to work on the brakes of my 72-mf 165, I'm thinking the hsg is dry unless the rear end oil seal is leaking???

Simon

Simon Maybe I can answer my own question. When I pull the shaft out of the rear end out comes the oil through the center of the seal?????
Geoff Gane Simon where the main axle casing joins onto the backend casing you will find the differential which has to run in oil for obvious reasons..ie lubrication...cooling etc...the casing holds approx 6 galls oil which lubricates the gearbox....transmission train and provides the oil for the hydraulic sysyem.....if you split the rear axle where it joins the backend casing/diff housing you will be met with the contents of the transmission/ back end ...ie 6 galls of oil swimming around your feet...after you remove the axle housing and have it standing upright on its studs the only reason you will have to remove the shaft is to replace seals in the bottom of the housing if they are found to be leaking....hope this helps....Geoff
Simonone After I unbolt the said rear hsg from rear end, does the inner axle shaft stay with the rear end or stay with the hsg?
Geoff Gane It comes out of the diff....ie it comes away with the housing when you remove it....unless for some unknown reason it has stuck into the splines in the diff planetery gears.....Good luck with your repairs.....Geoff

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: