TO35 23C Quit and No Start

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

TO35 23C Quit and No Start

MGP Tractor quit today with little warning. Started normally and ran for at least 30 minutes. While in motion, rpms slightly increased twice, then stopped as if it were fuel starved. There is plenty of fuel, sediment bowl full (of fuel). Heated and drained fuel bowls, as I expected ice in water separator. Bled system using manual pump/prime. Noticed that the resistance on the pump lever seemed light. Emptied fuel sediment bowl and observed fill rate while pumping. The stream into the bowl was very slow. Also, the pressure in from the bottom bleed bolt on injector was weaker than usual. Engine cranks vigorously, but does not start. Suspect bad fuel lift pump, but this was replaced about two years ago with new. Anywhere else to look before shelling out a bunch of money on a fuel pump? Is there an easy way to test fuel pressure? Thanks for any help.
GEEBEE I am not sure if the TO's have this or not, but the MF35's 135's have a small conical filter above the fuel shut off in the tank that can block up.
Chuck (CA) Had the same problem about 1 1/2 years ago. It would, however, start when towed.
I noticed a small hole that wore through on the the tubing that came out of the top rear of the fuel tank. I patched that and also tore the sediment bowl completely apart and blew an air hose through it. A small chunk of what looked like solder came out. I bled the entire system (again) and after that, no more problem.

HTH,
Chuck

MGP Thanks to all for the insight. It's a big help.

I'll be chasing this down soon and will post results.

Thanks again.

MGP Thanks Chuck. Posted reply on other forum.

I really appreciate the help.

== Mike

MGP "Little Smokey" up and running normally. Pulled sediment bowl assembly and found the brass screen in the tank to be fouled. Cleaned and replaced. Checked air filter and found it gunked up; cleaned, replaced oil, reassembled and replaced. Starts and runs like a champ.
Thanks for the help.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: