23c diesel crankshaft rear oil seal leaking

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

23c diesel crankshaft rear oil seal leaking

Bob from Tasmania Hi all, I've just bought a 1957 MF35 diesel with the
23c Standard engine with a damaged rear main seal.
The manual suggests using special tool number MF105/C2 to install the new seal. The tool is set to stop the seal entering the housing too far and getting damaged (that's what happened to the old seal). Can anyone tell me how to do it without spending $$$$'s on something I'll only use once?

Geoff Gane Bob given your location I take it you are more than the proverbial stone's throw from your MF dealer who would in all probablity have the correct tool to instal the rear engine oil seal. Never used one myself ,just knocked the seal in to the depth it was originally.....you should be able to see the marks in the seal housing where the seal was seated....the best I would do or suggest is to make a make some sort of mark in the housing and then provided the seal is going to sit on the crankshaft snugly knock the seal into the housing nice and square and keep it back a bit from the mark you have made....hope this makes sense and is of some help to you....Best regards....Geoff
Bob in Tasmania Yeah, the nearest place likely to have one is about 350 kilometres away.
200 of that over the ocean!!
Thanks for the tip though.

Problem is, in the last year or so,the 2 times the seal was inserted, it was done wrong (not by me!). I'm just hoping the original marks are still visible.

Geoff Gane Yes Bob I take your point.....if you are careful things should be ok though....mark the seal housing before you take it off as the holes are not spaced equally...ie there is only one way it fits in for the stud holes to line up...that way it will save you hunting for the correct configuration of holes on reassembling....please let me know if I have been of help to you when you have the job completed....Best regards...Geoff

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: