Ferguson TO20 hydraulics problem-please help

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Ferguson TO20 hydraulics problem-please help

Gary F. Hello,
Could you please give me some advice on my problem. My TO-20 Ferguson sat unused for a few months and when I started it up the lift went up and wouldn't come down. I was told it may be struck control valve due to moisture in the oil. I drained it and oil was milky. I removed the top cover under the seat, removed ram cylinder, checked with air pressure and that moves in and out fine. I didn't know to check if fork from finger tip control was detached from the control valve before removing top cover. I then was able to push control valve in freely with my fingers so I assumed everything was ok with the control valve. I put everything back together and filled with new oil. Still no up or down with hydraulics. I have a shop manual but it has no details about what the control valve actuates inside the pump. Can you help me out with this? Do you think this is where the problem lies and can you give more detail on how to repair than the shop manual does? Thank you.
Gary

Geoff Gane Gary go back to the start and begin again....remove the right hand side plate and operate the control lever by hand and watch what happens....does the fork move?...does it operate the control valve?...did you re-connect it properly?....If everything seems to be operating ok then remove the hydraulic pump and check the condition of the control valve....you can remove the pump by draining all the oil and removing the pto shaft then remove the setscrews holding the pump base....it may need a bit of a tap to free the seal and then it can be lowered and you can inspect it.....hope this helps you.....Best regards.....Geoff
Gary F. Thanks for your reply, I checked movement of the fork,the fork moves back and forth with up /down of the control lever, but seemed to move the control valve up & down instead of in & out. I drained oil and removed the hyd pump and at this point I am at a loss because not sure about the control valve, how is it supposed to work, how to get it out etc. The spring had a piece broken off but can't get the rest(stem) out.Is there a way I can send pictures to show you what I am talking about?
Thanks,
Gary

Geoff Gane Gary you should be able to e mail pictures no prob.....Don't ask me how it's done as I have never had to do it but I have received many on various topics. It sounds as if the control valve is either bent, broken, or seized....possibly with a combination of all 3...if you can manage to send me some pictures it will help and I will keep a chech on my e mails.....Regards....Geoff
Gary F. Geoff,
I can't get through to your email. It keeps kicking my email back saying mailbox not available. Can you try emailing me privately so I can make sure I have the correct email address for you?
Thanks
Gary

Geoff Gane Gary if you leave your e mail addy on this site I will e mail you direct....I can't see your e mail address anywhere.....Geoff
Gary F. Geoff,
click on Gary F. and it takes you to how to email me. Thats how I emailed you but it doesn't go through to you. I emailed my self that way to test and it came through fine.
Thanks
Gary

Geoff Gane Gary I tried to email you yesterdat but I had the same trouble as you....try and leave your email addy in this site and see what happens if it will allow you ....Geoff
Paul Holmes I have a 49 TO 20. when I start the tractor the lift system lifts just fine in the course of about 45 minutes it goes up slower and slower until it wont lift at all. Please help

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Massey Ferguson Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: