JD316 Hydro trans fluid

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD316 Hydro trans fluid

Dave Hi, my JD 316 (1986 Onan) has a very slight transmission leak. I had been adding JD Trans fluid - but see in the manual that "Type F" is also okay.

Is it okay to mix the two? I have to drive a long way to the JD dealer and a short trip to Wal-Mart for "Type F." I just finished what I had left of the JD fluid.

Thanks!

Dave Dave - DO NOT MIX THE FLUIDS. Unless you want to shell the insides out. John Deere Low Viscosity Hy-Gard is now the recommended fluid type for the the hydrostatic transmission. This fluid is light amber in color.

Type F transmission fluid (red in color) was recommended at the time your unit was manufactured. This is the same fluid as the NLA Johnd Deere All Weather Hydrstatic Fluid.

It is O.K. to drain one type, replace the filter, and refill with the other type. However, IT IS NOT O.K. TO MIX THE TWO TYPES OF FLUID.

If you have mixed fluids, I would recommend draining all the fluid, replacing the filter, and refilling with one or the other type of fluid, and then staying with that type. - Dave

bontai Joe I agree, do not mix the two fluids. The few residual drops left inside from a draining won't be a problem, but don't leave a pint of the old stuff in the old filter and add a different fluid. If you are gonna change it, change it all. For what it's worth, I've always used automatic tranny fluid type "F" as originally recommended by Deere with great results. The recommended change interval is 2 years or 200 hours, which ever comes first. Pretty cheap maintenance compared to repairing or replacing the hydro tranny.
Dave Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!

Dave

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: