STX 30 mower deck problems

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

STX 30 mower deck problems

Julian Hi!
I have a STX 30 yellow deck. Mowing the lawn is nearly impossible because the balde is turning to slow. The belts and also the Kohler engine are o.k. (checked by local dealer). I suggest that the clutch of the mower deck is not working correct.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help

bontai Joe Is the drive pulley on the mower deck secure attached to the shaft? My guess is that the pulley is spinning faster than the spindle because the key is sheared or missing.
Julian Hi Joe!

Thanks for this advice. I will check this. I guess that it is perhaps a problem of the carb/governor. When I switch on the mower deck the rpm of the engine goes down. What do you think about this fact?

bontai Joe Now that I know that the engine RPM is slowing when the mower is engaged, I suspect that there is either sometnig wound around one of the mower spindles like string or wire that is causing a LARGE amount of friction, or that you have a mower spindle bearing that is seizing causing the same thing. With the spark plug wire pulled OFF! check under the mower deck to see if the blades freely spin by hand with the drive belt disconnected. Is there a large amount of grass clippings under the deck? Do all the pulleys between the mower and the motor spin freely?
Julian Hi Joe!
Thanks vor your advice. I checked the mower deck, but the blades are spinning freely and there is nothing which can cause any friction. As I wrote the JD was already checked by a local dealer (where the JD was bought years ago). They dismounted the engine but they found nothing. The engine compression, crankshaft and so on are ok.
The mower is from 1989 and was owned by my grandfather. The JD suffered not the best service in his life time so I think that there is some dirt in the carb. ??

Julian Hi Joe!
Thanks vor your advice. I checked the mower deck, but the blades are spinning freely and there is nothing which can cause any friction. As I wrote the JD was already checked by a local dealer (where the JD was bought years ago). They dismounted the engine but they found nothing. The engine compression, crankshaft and so on are ok.
The mower is from 1989 and was owned by my grandfather. The JD suffered not the best service in his life time so I think that there is some dirt in the carb. ??

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: