445 camshaft failure

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

445 camshaft failure

Martin Schoenmaker I just spent $700.00 to have a camshaft with plastic gears replaced with a metal one. Am I the only one? John Deere does not seem to want to stand behind its product and offer some compensation for an obvious design flaw. I would appreciate others holding John Deere accountable .
scott I was told at the beginning of the 425 445's that kawasaki was installing plastic cam gears to reduce the noise. They used 3 rivets to attach the gear to the camshaft. They should have used 6. I was told there was no engineering change order issued. I did the work wyself plus the water pump, valve springs and tappets. About $250 worth of parts. The dealer told me about 4.5 hours for them to do it. Their total estimate parts and labor about $500.00 which is about right for they charge $55.00 an hour. If you can contact the local deere factory rep you may find more info. Any part of the Kawasaki v2 engine is gouging to the max.

bontai Joe You are not alone, there were LOTS of these that crapped out, but as the warantees have all expired several years ago, (these were discontinued around 1998?) there isn't much recourse on a 7 plus year old motor.
Ron Joe is right and you got taken, big time. But you are far from the only guy who got taken by a JD dealer.

JD corporate will laugh at your request for compensation. The way things work in this world is that consumers vote with their money... next time you buy a tractor, buy anything but a JD, then you get the last laugh.

greg well the warranty was extended for 5 years on the camshaft failure. i know 2 people that got theirs fixed after their original warranty expired.
the 4200-4400 owners also discovered that their tractor when first came out had over 20 different
changes into the newer serial number batches. deere should compensate for those changes since their were many failure components at low low hours, but they don't want to hear them.

carl My camshaft had failure at appox 300 hrs I had to replace the camshaft ,pushrods,valves,oil pump, and gasket kit Parts cost 400.oo I called john deere all they said was it was out of warranty I called Kawasaski they told me go call john deere I told them next time i will buy a kabota They should stand behind there mistakes and at least pay for the parts

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: