214 slows down after running for a while

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

214 slows down after running for a while

dwayne Can anyone tell me why my 214 slows down after running for a while? In fourth gear it runs faster than I can mow when I first start it, and by the time I finish mowing, it is running pretty slowly. Is there a spring in the variator that can be replaced? Does the variator need lubricating? Any help would be appreciated.
bontai Joe When was the last time you replaced the belts?
dwayne Never replaced the belt that drives the tractor.
bontai Joe There is an EXCELLENT site for older Deere garden tractors at www.weekendfreedommachines.ORG and once there, search the archives for a thread called "Deere walking". That thread will take you through replacing both drive belts step by step with color photos, as well as maintenance tips on the variator. A much better description than I could ever do here.
dwayne I found some stuff but there was so much that I am not sure if I was looking at the same thing you were taling about. Sorry I am a bit of a dummy when it comes to computers. Can you walk me through the steps to get to the exact place you mentioned? Thanks, Dwayne
bontai Joe Copy the below address:
http://www.weekendfreedommachines.org/discus/messages/335/41552.html?1079158729

And paste it in your address bar and then hit enter. It will take you right to WFm Archives on the 214 with variator problems. I don't know how much of what's there you will need, but if you follow along, it is a very indepth description of how to change belts, and adjust the drive with some great photos.

exjdtech looka t variator see if there is any marks(pitting,lines, peeling) in the chrome, if you replace the belt replace both. you can lube with a silicone spray but wipe sheaves clean.
Dwayne Thanks, I lubed the "floating sheeve" where it slides between the two fixed halves and we seem to be good to go. It was sticking a little before and after I lubed it it slid easily. Thanks again for the help. Dwayne

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: