JD 318 no spark

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 318 no spark

Branden Fonk It would start fine and shut off once it was warmed and I checked it out and bought a new coil still no spark I tore the tractor down and tested things as well I jumped wires across and got some weierd results but not doing what it is supposed to if anyone could help me out I would love to have it run like a deere again
Steve Just got my 345 back from the shop. It's a 2001 with 215 hours. It had the same problem, as well as a gummed up carb.

The little circuit board that the wires from everything goes back to was replaced. Some of the wires now have electrical tape on them, so I don't know what else they did to it. They said the board was about $80, but no returns if it did not fix the problem.

The week before it went out, I pressure washed it - probably messed it up then. Moral of the story - leave it dirty.

Jerry I just went thru the same problem with a JD420 with a 20hp Onan motor in it. It started an ran about 200 yards out in the woods, then quit. I restarted it a couple times and it would run a little bit and quit. I towed it into the barn and got my manual out. According to the JD maint manual checks, there was something wrong with the ignition module behind the flywheel [wrong resistance readings when hot]. I bought a coil and tried it first, hopeing that I wouldn't have to pull the motor. I ended up pulling the motor and replacing the ignition module. I put a new starter solenoid in while I had the motor out. Runs great now. Solenoid, coil, and module were all about $80-90 bucks apiece.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: