JD 185

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 185

Frank Melani I am going to purchase a lawn tractor to cut around 1.5 acres and would like a few suggestions of which model to choose. My father has used a JD 185 with great success, but it is also over 16 years old. I want a deck around 42 inches, which would be comparable to the John Deere LT160 and the Cub Cadet LT 2180. I would like to keep the used price of the tractor under $1,500.

Second question If I were to purchase new, which tractor would you suggest? LT160 or LT 2180 (Cub Cadet)

Thanks
Frank

bontai joe I think you can probably find a used Deere "LT" series or Cub "2000" series used in good condition for around $1500, maybe a little more. As to which you should buy, sit on each one and check out the leg room, belly room (if needed) ease of reaching the controls, ease of getting on and off (does your leg always seem to hit something getting on?) You might want to consider Simplicity (or its clones at AGCO or Massey Ferguson) and Toro and Snapper. All good machines. When buying a used tractor, use your eyes, ears, touch and smell to closely examine each machine for frayed wires, slop in the steering, badly worn tires (means lots of hours!), clean oil at the proper level, broken parts, bypassed safety switches, smell the exhaust for burnt oil, any grinding or rumbling noises, broken parts, duct tape (bad sign!), etc. You should expect to get 5 to 10 years at least out of a used machine, make it one that is comfortable for you to use. If there will be other people using this tractor (wife or child) do they have the strength to lift the mower deck? snowblower if so equipped? How difficult will it be to remove the mower deck and install a snow plow or blower? Now that I have given you a ton of things to think about, enjoy shopping! One last thing! You can usually get a better deal on a used "Brand X" at a "Brand Y" dealership, because they consider those machines like unwanted orphans. They will take them in on a trade to make a sale, but really don't want all that different colored stuff cluttering up the sales area, and really want to see it gone.
bryan c I THINK YOU"D LIKE THE Cub Cadet LT 2180
I FOUND AT LOWES A 2180 FOR $2.012 PLUS TAX
NOTE THIS LT2180 NORMELY SALE"S FOR $2.899
BE FOR TAX

OHW BY THE WAY DOES THE JD HAVE A SHAFT DRIVE
SO YOU DONT NEED TO MASS WITH THE BELT SYS?
Cub Cadet HASE IT OH YA

I HOPE YOU LIKE WHAT EVER YOU GET!

Frank Thanks fellas. I found a JD 185 with a 48" cutting deck in for around $800. I saw it yesterday but the owner was not able to start (battery was dead and battery charger was not charged). I am going to see it next Saturday to test ride it?

The back tires looked brand new while the front tires seemed worn. The body was in excellent shape and there was very little play in the steering wheel. The motor oil seemed to have been replaced recently with no gunk. I guess the tell tale sign would be to start it up and look for smoke from the engine.

Is $800 a good price for this model? It includes the oversize deck 48" in comparison to the 38" stock model. It also includes a small trailer that holds the cut grass.

Are their any other tests I should run to make sure tractor is ok? I see allot of articles on transmission problems, anything I should be concerned with.

Thanks again,
Frank

bontai Joe Without seeing or hearing the tractor, I can't really say what it is worth exactly, but $800 sounds reasonable for a 185 in good condition with a cart. If the cart is from Deere, figure that is worth at least $100 of the price. During your test drive, go up and down some slopes, steer it from full left to full right a couple of times, and use your ears and eyes to look for sights and sounds that might indicate a problem.
Andrew Muhiro Want to buy used tractor John Deere or Massey Ferguson 185/165

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: