455 with a wobble in the steering colum

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

455 with a wobble in the steering colum

tvette410 want to buy a 455, the one i looked at has a wobble when u take hold of the steering wheel. he told me this is comman with the 455 and that its easy to replace. any ideas
ross Probably the nut that holds the steering wheel on is loose, but make sure the splines aren't stripped on the shaft or steering wheel.
bontai Joe Is it the wheel itself that is loose? or does the steering shaft have a wobble in it? The steering wheel can be easily replaced. Replacing the shaft is a little more "fun".
tvette410 i wish it was only the wheel but its in the shaft it will go up and doen right or left i have driven it but it just bugs me that there is a wobble there anither guy said there is a bushing at top and at the bottom that might be worn out
Jeff Greene I have/had a 455 with the same problem. If you disassemble dash/console you'll find a plastic bushing that's all worn out... it's an easy fix. The bushing cost a buck or two.
Mark Fletcher I have the same problem with my 330, the bushing that has come loose is the bottom one. To replace it I need to remove the steering shaft. Has anyone else had to do this? Any advice on the best way to proceed? I'm trying to get the steering shaft's lower u-joint off of the splined shaft that comes out of the steering box, but it seems the steering box shaft was deformed because the u-joint will only come off to a point then it sticks. A second problem I see with this plan is that I don't think there's enough "play" in the steering shaft to get the u-joint off the steering box shaft in the first place, but I assume it will work because I can't see how the steering shaft could have been installed otherwise in the first place. Plan B is to remove the steering box, but that plan mostly looks like a good way to screw up a good tractor and my knuckles. Any and all advice appreciated, thanks.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: