Opinions on snowbloweres on John Deere GT series

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Opinions on snowbloweres on John Deere GT series

Glen VanWormer Hi

I recently moved and my JD 445 is over kill for my small property. I am looking seriously at the GT series because for size, it is ideal for lawn mowing. I am nervous about the snow blower feature though. Obviously I used to the hyraulic snow blower on my 445 but the GT series has what I understand is a foot assist hand raise and lower snow blower? If you have one, please give me your oppinion. Is it hard to operate? If I get the small GT 235 18 HP, does it have enough gump to throw the snow 10-15 ft?

Thank you

Glen

David I have GT 245 and recently got a single stage snowthower for it(doesn't come in a two stage snowblower). I live in New England and got about 2 feet of snow. It was a good test for the snowthower and did great. I was very happy with the snowthower. The only problem I had was the carburator freezing up. My JD dealer suggested to block off half of the air intake with duct tape. You could buy the adapter plate from JD, but the duct tape would do the same and cheaper.

How big is your yard and driveway? I don't know about you, but if I had a JD 445, I would not get rid of it. I would love to have the hydralic features that comes with the 445. The spring assist that comes with the GT's is fine, but when you want to snowthrow a path on the lawn, it is a pain to hold the thrower up an inch above the ground. Plus the diff lock feature on the 445 is great if you have a hilly driveway.

Don't get me wrong, I love my GT. My yard is not that big, but if I had the $$$$, I would have bought the 445, or at least the 345. Since you moved, maybe you could use the 445 to snowblow your new neighbors driveways and make some new friends. That is just my opinion.

Glen VanWormer Thanks so much.

Actually, my father is going to use the JD445 now. He has a bigger driveway and I also have a front loader on the 445 so he enjoys tinkering with it in his retirement. I couldn't bring myself to make him part with it.

Tim Boisvert Glen,

I'm glad the 445 is going to stay in the family, I think you would miss it and if you ever needed a bigger tractor, at least you could borrow it.

David If you decided on a the GT with the snowthrower, you might want to pick up a spare belt for it. Mine broke the other day and went to JD to get a replacement. There are two types of belts; standard (which comes with the thower) and heavy duty. The heavy duty is about twice as thick as the standard and twice the price. FYI.

Phil I have a GT 235 with a snow thrower,it works great. It will throw the snow as far as you need to. The tractor has no foot assist for raising the thrower, but you adjust the spring. The carb will freeze but all I did was take off the sponge band around the air filter and it took care of the problem.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: